Connect with us

Latest News

7.8 magnitude quake hits southern Philippines\

Published

on

A significant 7.8-magnitude quake occurred off the southern Philippine island of Mindanao on Monday, prompting officials to issue tsunami warnings, with no deaths or severe damage reported initially.

Tsunami warnings were issued in the Philippines and adjacent Indonesia and by the US Tsunami Warning System, with inhabitants in coastal areas told to move to higher ground.

DZBB radio, which is broadcasting from the Philippine city of General Santos around 15 km (9.3 miles) from the epicentre, reported falling furniture, damage to televisions and other equipment as the area experienced aftershocks and many evacuated their homes to seek safety.

The General Santos disaster agency said aftershocks were continuing and authorities were evaluating reports of damage and some casualties.

Local disaster ​chief Rene Punzalan said power and telecommunications were out and school lessons were cancelled in the Philippines’ Sarangani province near the epicentre. A damage assessment was ongoing, with no reports yet of any collapsed buildings, he said.

PHILIPPINES: DISASTER RESPONSE IN PROGRESS

Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr stated authorities were fast-tracking coordination of the catastrophe response.“The national government is moving and we will not leave Mindanao behind,” Marcos stated in a statement.

The Philippines and Indonesia are struck by hundreds of quakes annually and reside on tectonically complicated areas of the “Pacific Ring of Fire”, a seismically active belt reaching from South America to the Russian Far East.

Philippine agency Phivolcs warned of damage and tsunami waves above one metre (yard) which could persist for several hours. So far, the geophysics agency BKMG of Indonesia stated waves of 0.19 m (8 inches) had been measured.

The police building suffered some cracks following the quake, which happened during their flag-raising ceremony, several individuals fainted’, said Benjie Ancheta, police chief of Alabel town in Sarangani.This is the most powerful earthquake we’ve had,” Ancheta told Reuters via phone.

COASTAL AREAS EVACUATED CONTINUE TO BE EVACUATED

The 7.8 magnitude ​quake occurred at a ⁠depth of 10 km (6.2 miles), the German Research Centre ​for Geosciences stated. It had given a magnitude of 8.2.

Indonesia’s geophysics agency measured the quake at magnitude 7.7, while the Philippines’ put it at 7.0.

Witnesses in the Indonesian city of Manado in the north ​and residents and officials in the southern Philippines claimed they felt the tremor powerfully.

A representative for Indonesia disaster mitigation agency said so far there were no reports of damage.

Arlene Hollero, disaster chief of Maasim town in the Sarangani province of the Philippines, said their evacuation was under process in coastal villages and there were no recorded injuries so far.

Water drained soon after the quake, but the seas were typical so far, she said. A bridge had minor cracks and a shrine with a giant cross toppled, she added.“It’s a disaster,” Hollero told Reuters via phone.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Indian water aggression: Flow in Chenab river dips by 53,000 cusecs in a day

Published

on

By

According to sources, India has stopped the flow of water into the Chenab River resulting in a decrease of 53,000 cusecs in flow of the river within a day.

India had stopped the Chenab’s water at the Salal and Baglihar dams, stated sources.

The Chenab River near Marala had a water inflow of 74,000 cusecs at 7am. By noon the flow was down to 31,000 cusecs.

The current water inflow at Marala is 21,000 cusecs and the stopping of Chenab waters is a significant violation of the Indus Waters Treaty, sources said.

Continue Reading

Latest News

JI calls for statewide protest after 12 Rabi-ul-Awwal over petrol levy

Published

on

By

Jamaat-e-Islami Pakistan chairman Hafiz Naeem-ur-Rehman called a countrywide shutter-down strike after 12 Rabi-ul-Awwal over the petroleum levy, stating the government would have to decrease the petroleum costs.

Talking to a news conference in Lahore, Hafiz Naeem said their campaign was going in the best possible way and added that the government will have to cut down the pricing of petroleum goods.

He claimed the country cannot move forward in the presence of flour and sugar mafias and appealed to the people to come up and join their resistance. He also added that farmers were not obtaining fertilisers at affordable costs while government officials were utilising costly automobiles using taxpayers’ money.

The Jamaat-e-Islami head stated they would observe a country-wide strike after 12 Rabi-ul-Awwal, adding that negotiations would not be held on the basis of assurances to halt the sit-in. He said the sit-in will continue until the government practically accepted their requests.

Hafiz Naeem also stated the petroleum levy, which he called a type of extortion tax, should not be enforced under any circumstances and the government would have to cut petrol prices.

If their demands were not accepted they would march on Islamabad, they said. No one could stop them and no Jamaat-e-Islami worker would hesitate to make sacrifices.

It may be recalled that Jamaat-e-Islami has been organising sit-ins outside governors’ residences around the country against the petroleum levy, with the protests entering their eighth day today.

Continue Reading

Business

Gold price up by Rs5,700 per tola

Published

on

By

Gold prices increased in domestic and foreign markets, with the rate of gold in the international bullion market shooting up by $57 an ounce to $4,604.

The gold price in Pakistan went up by Rs5,700 per tola, reaching Rs482,936.

The price of 10 grams of gold too went up by Rs4,972 to Rs414,039.

Meanwhile the price of silver was constant. Silver Rs7,379 per tola and Rs6,326 per 10 grams.

Continue Reading

Trending