Connect with us

Latest News

Trump gives stark warning to Iran to embrace peace deal

Published

on

President Donald Trump on Sunday delivered a new threat to Iran, saying the country needed to hurry toward a peace deal or “there won’t be anything left of them.”

Washington, engaged in a dispute with Tehran since US and Israeli troops began significant strikes on the Islamic republic beginning February 28, has struggled to break a deadlock and make any headway toward ending a war that has rattled the Middle East and set energy prices skyrocketing.”The Clock is Ticking for Iran and they better get moving FAST or there won’t be anything left of them,” Trump said on his Truth Social platform. “TIME IS ESSENCE!”

The war has effectively closed the vital Strait of Hormuz, which in peacetime carries approximately 20 percent of world oil shipments, and has pulled in neighbouring Israel and Lebanon into a deadly side struggle.

Iran’s clerical regime, the benefactor of Hezbollah, has wanted a permanent ceasefire in Lebanon before any wider peace deal with Trump, who has been irritated by Tehran’s refusal to accept a settlement on his terms.

Despite Israel and Lebanon agreeing to extend a ceasefire, Hezbollah launched almost 200 missiles at Israel and its forces over the weekend, an Israeli military spokesman said Sunday.

Lebanon’s health ministry said additional Israeli strikes Sunday on the country’s south killed five people, including two children.

Lebanese authorities said more than 2,900 people had been murdered in Lebanon since the start of the war, including 400 since the truce began on April 17.NO BIG SACRIFICES’

Washington and Tehran agreed to a truce on April 8 but peace talks have stagnated and intermittent assaults have continued.

Iranian media claimed on Sunday that the United States has not made any tangible concessions in its latest response to Iran’s suggested agenda for negotiations to end the war.

Washington has issued a five-point list including a demand that Iran operate only one nuclear site and relinquish its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the United States, the Fars news agency claimed.

Fars said Washington also declined to release “even 25 percent” of Iran’s blocked assets overseas or to make any reparations for harm caused to Iran during the conflict.

Meanwhile, the Mehr news agency claimed, “The United States, offering no tangible concessions, wants to obtain concessions that it failed to obtain during the war, which will lead to an impasse in the negotiations.”

More turmoil broke out in sections of the region on Sunday. Authorities claimed a drone attack started a fire near a nuclear power plant in the emirate of Abu Dhabi, with no injuries or effect on radiation levels reported.

Iranian-backed armed organisations equipped with drones are based in Iraq, while Tehran’s allies in Yemen — the Houthi rebels — have combat-grade UAVs, too.

Pakistan has been mediating in the peace talks between Iran and the United States and its Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi met Sunday in Tehran with Iran’s main negotiator and speaker of parliament, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf.

In a social media post following the meetings, Ghalibaf stated the US and Israeli war with Iran destabilised the entire Middle East.”Some governments in the region thought that the presence of the United States would give them security, but recent events have proved that this presence is not only unable to provide security but also creates the grounds for insecurity,” he said.

There seemed to be scant progress on Iran, which was covered during the high-stakes conference between Trump and Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping earlier this week.

Trump said Xi told him that China was not preparing military help to Iran. The Chinese foreign ministry stated Friday in a statement on Iran that “shipping lanes should be reopened as soon as possible.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Sindh High Court launches AI search engine, smartphone application

Published

on

By

The Sindh High Court has introduced an AI search engine and mobile app for the convenience of litigants.

Sindh High Court takes another stride towards digital delivery of justice; LRC will aid assistant judges, research officers

In this regard, a statement published said that the Sindh High Court had become the first high court to introduce AI search engine.

The new mobile app will provide fast access to case information and court services. The smartphone app has e-filing, e-notices and case search options.

The Chief Justice of the Sindh High Court launched the digital projects and thanked the IT Department for its efforts for the modernisation of the judicial system.

Case files and court records that have been scanned are available digitally.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Governor KP, Punjab debate issue of availability of flour, Rawalpindi killings

Published

on

By

Chief Minister Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Muhammad Sohail Afridi has written a letter to the Prime Minister of Pakistan for the suspension of the gas supply to the CNG sector in the province and urged for urgent resolution of the situation.

In his letter, the chief minister demanded an end to the suspension of gas supply to the CNG sector in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, stating that the province is a major producer of natural gas and should not be deprived of its constitutional rights.

The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa generates over 494 million cubic feet per day (MMCFD) of petrol but its own use is only around 120 MMCFD, he said.

The letter also said that the CNG industry in the province needed 36 to 40 MMCFD of gas which has purportedly been diverted to the fertiliser sector. The chief minister said the stoppage of gas delivery to CNG outlets would provoke unrest and law and order situation in the province.

He said that a gas-producing province has the first right to use its resources under Article 158 of the Constitution. He said that Peshawar High Court has already declared the closing of CNG stations as unjust.

The chief minister said the closure had put thousands of jobs at stake besides the transport sector significantly depended on CNG. “I think depending on expensive fuel would be an additional burden to the public,” he said.

Sohail Afridi asked the Prime Minister to immediately resume the provision of gas to the CNG industry and demanded that a meeting of the Council of Common Interests be summoned and the issue be placed in its agenda.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

G7 finance leaders look to address inequities as trade tensions fray unity

Published

on

By

G7 finance ministers meeting in Paris on Monday will seek common ground on addressing global economic concerns and co-ordinating vital raw material supplies, even as geopolitical disagreements threaten to challenge the cohesion of the group.

The two-day conference followed a summit between US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping in Beijing that achieved few meaningful economic accomplishments as tensions over Taiwan and trade simmered behind a show of diplomatic cordiality.

The Paris agenda will focus on what French Finance Minister Roland Lescure said are “deep-rooted global economic imbalances that are creating trade friction and could result in a turbulent unwinding in financial markets.””The way the global economy has been developing for the past 10 years or so is clearly unsustainable,” he added, referring to a pattern where China under-consumes, the United States over-consumes and Europe under-invests.

UPDATE FROM THE SUMMIT US-CHINA

Lescure, who will chair the talks, said the G7 provided a chance for open discussion among allies at a time of growing disagreements with Washington.These are not easy topics. “I am not going to say that we agree on everything, including, of course, first and foremost with our American friends,” he told journalists before the meeting.

The Trump administration allowed a sanctions waiver on Russian seaborne oil to lapse on Saturday, and finance ministers will be seeking for an update on US-China ties after the Trump-Xi summit and on the latest US efforts to re-open the Strait of Hormuz.

The success would be if the sides just accept each has some responsibility for the trade and financial flow imbalances, French officials participating with preparations said, but the US side is expected to be reluctant.

FALLOUT FROM MIDEAST CONFLICT””I’d be shocked if they’re going to sign on to the idea this is the US’s fault in some way,” said Philip Luck, director of the economics program at Washington’s Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Ministers are also set to examine the economic effects from the Mideast conflict and volatility on global bond markets, which are of particular concern to Japan.

Rachel Reeves will “push for coordinated action to limit inflation and supply chain pressures and restore freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz” at the meeting, and also reassert the government’s desire to reduce trade barriers between Britain and the European Union, Britain’s finance ministry said.

G7 divisions make it harder to show unity as ministers prepare for a June 15-17 leaders summit ​in the resort town of Evian.

CRITICAL MINERAL DEPENDENCE

A second target will be ⁠critical minerals and rare earths, where G7 governments are aiming to coordinate efforts to lessen reliance on China, which dominates supply chains important for technology from electric vehicles to renewable energy and security systems.

The G7 will call for tighter collaboration to monitor markets, anticipate disruptions and establish alternative sources, including through cooperative initiatives across allied economies, Lescure said. “The goal is to make sure that no country can ever again have a monopoly” of such materials, he said.

G7 countries are aiming to create a shared toolbox of measures to stabilise markets and boost domestic investment, possibly with price floors for manufacturers, pooled purchases and also tariffs.

Luck, who worked on the topic in the Biden administration, said the program is a long-term undertaking that would do little on the ⁠finance ministers’ ​meeting. “”This is very early innings of trying to figure this out,” he remarked. “I don’t think there is agreement on a strategy even within the U.S. government, let alone being able to articulate that in a convincing way to ​our partners in order to get them to sign on,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending