Connect with us

Latest News

Araghchi believes US-Iran deal might be reached ‘in coming days’

Published

on

Iran’s foreign minister Abbas Araghchi said a draft deal with the US would be signed “remotely” once finalised, which may happen “in the coming days”.“We will sign and announce this agreement when we conclude the final stages of our negotiations.” The signing will be electronic initially. Both sides will sign from a distance. “Then it will be announced that this memorandum of understanding has been signed by both parties,” Araghchi said state television in an interview.It is in the next couple of days. “I am very positive.”

There was room for improvement on the pact, he added, but the provisional agreement proved his country had come out of the fight stronger.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Iran wanted a deal that would allow Tehran to charge ships “for services rendered” when they passed through the Strait of Hormuz. Iran has put a toll system in place throughout the war that the US and other countries contend violates international law.“There will be costs involved,” Araghchi added. “And those costs must be paid.

Hours after those remarks, a source familiar with the incident told Reuters that U.S. forces shot down several Iranian one-way attack drones headed for the Strait of Hormuz. The insider, who agreed to speak only on the condition of anonymity, claimed the drones had been a menace to commercial traffic. Later, U.S. Central Command acknowledged the action and declared the river was available for transit.

Iranian news agencies said there were explosions along the strait from Iran’s Sirik port and Qeshm island, which residents and local officials said were shots fired by Iranian forces to warn off vessels attempting to cross the waterway without permission from the navy of the Revolutionary Guards.

Sources on all sides of the talks stated the planned memorandum of understanding called for re-opening the strait and lifting the U.S. naval blockade on Iranian ports. Then there’d be talks on Iran’s nuclear program, which President Donald Trump used as the reason for initiating the war.

The U.S. official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the accord fulfilled Trump’s key goals and placed negotiations “in a very, very good place”.

Western, Pakistani and Iranian reports of the draft proposal included parameters that might play into Iran’s hands, eliciting anger from Trump who dismissed the reports as false.

The suggestions basically gave Tehran much of what it has sought with only small variances in the details, with Trump apparently winning nothing beyond reopening the strait, which Iran closed after the U.S. and Israel strikes in February.

Iran and Oman will keep control of traffic across the strait that before the conflict carried one fifth of the world’s oil and gas supply, Araqchi said.”Our sword will always hang over the Strait of Hormuz,” he declared.

A Western source said the accord may be signed as early as Sunday by U.S. Vice President JD Vance and Iran’s parliament speaker, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, with Geneva the most likely destination.

The U.S. administration official said Europe had been explored as a venue for signing but no decision had been made.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Business

PSX ends week on gloomy note; benchmark index down 2,938 points

Published

on

By

During the outgoing week of business, the benchmark KSE-100 Index closed down by 2,938 points at 177,166.

The index fluctuated in a range of 5,048 points over the week. Its high was 181,158 and its low was 176,110.

The trading activity remained healthy with almost 4.22 billion shares being traded during the week in deals amounting to about Rs205 billion.

However, the entire capitalisation of the market fell by Rs247 billion during the week to Rs19,882 billion.

In the stock market, the weekly performance was mainly negative as the benchmark index closed the week significantly lower than its previous finish.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Pakistan, Malaysia to enhance security cooperation

Published

on

By

President Asif Ali Zardari and Malaysian Interior Minister Saifuddin Nasution bin Ismail have agreed to enhance cooperation between Pakistan and Malaysia in security and law enforcement during a meeting at the President House.

Federal Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi was also present during the meeting. President Zardari and the Malaysian interior minister discussed various issues, including counterterrorism and bilateral trade, while stressing the need to further strengthen cooperation between the two countries in security and law enforcement.

President Zardari said Pakistan and Malaysia enjoyed brotherly relations based on strong foundations of shared faith, culture and mutual respect. He also emphasised the need to enhance joint cooperation against terrorism, drug trafficking and human trafficking.

The meeting reviewed progress in institutional cooperation in internal security, immigration, and legal and judicial matters. President Zardari said continued communication and cooperation between relevant institutions could provide greater facilitation to citizens of both countries.

The two sides also discussed prospects for promoting bilateral trade between Pakistan and Malaysia. President Zardari stressed the need for greater market access for Pakistani products in Malaysia.

He said there was demand in Malaysia for Pakistani rice, potatoes, wheat, poultry and animal feed, which could be utilised to increase the volume of bilateral trade between the two countries.

The Malaysian interior minister said 2026 marked the 69th year of diplomatic relations between Pakistan and Malaysia. The meeting also reviewed air connectivity between the two countries, with officials informing the meeting that 14 flights were currently operating between Pakistan and Malaysia every week, while efforts were underway to further increase air links.

Both sides agreed that the Malaysian interior minister’s visit to Pakistan would help further strengthen bilateral relations, security cooperation and institutional ties between the two countries.

Continue Reading

Latest News

LHC releases list of judges for eighth week of summer holiday

Published

on

By

 The Lahore High Court has issued the judges’ roster for the eighth week of summer vacations, constituting benches to hear cases at the principal seat and regional benches.

The roster was issued by Additional Registrar Judicial Syed Shabbir Hussain Shah with the approval of the Chief Justice of the Lahore High Court. According to the roster, a total of 23 judges will hear cases at the principal seat and regional benches.

According to the roster, four division benches at the principal seat will hear appeals, while 14 judges will hear cases as single benches. Judges serving on division benches will also hear cases as single benches.

A two-member bench headed by the Chief Justice of the Lahore High Court will hear appeals of all types. A two-member bench headed by Justice Ahsan Raza Kazmi will hear civil appeals of all types, while a bench headed by Justice Javed Zafar will hear criminal appeals.

A two-member bench headed by Justice Khalid Ishaq will hear civil applications of all types.

At the Bahawalpur Bench, a two-member bench headed by Justice Chaudhry Muhammad Iqbal will hear appeals of all types.

At the Multan Bench, a two-member bench headed by Justice Shahbaz Rizvi will hear civil appeals of all types, while a two-member bench headed by Justice Raza Qureshi will hear criminal appeals of all types.

At the Rawalpindi Bench, a two-member bench headed by Justice Malik Owais Khalid will hear appeals of all types.

During the summer vacations, only important and urgent applications will be allowed to be filed. The summer vacations at the Lahore High Court will conclude in the first week of September.

Continue Reading

Trending