Connect with us

Latest News

Israeli strikes kill 14 in Lebanon as Pentagon holds security talks

Published

on

State-run media reported at least 14 people were killed in Israeli air attacks on villages in southern Lebanon. Lebanese and Israeli military delegations are holding security talks at the Pentagon.

The Friday assaults came as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Israeli forces had crossed the Litani River in Lebanon, which runs about 30 kilometres (about 19 miles) north of their shared border, in an extended ground incursion.

The “ceasefire” that came into effect on April 17 and was extended for 45 days on May 17 after indirect discussions mediated by the United States, failed to prevent Israel’s current military operation from beginning.

ISRAEL-LEBANON NEGOTIATIONS

Lebanon was expected to urge Israel to halt its continuous attacks, which have accelerated in recent days, during Friday’s talks at the Pentagon.

The Lebanese delegation comprises six officers, headed by the army’s director of operations, Georges Rizkallah.

Brigadier General Amichai Levin, head of the strategic division in the army’s planning directorate, is in Washington for the negotiations on the Israeli side, an Israeli military official said.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun informed US Secretary of State Marco Rubio that a ceasefire with Israel is vital. Aoun “emphasised the need to exert all efforts to reach a ceasefire, considering it an essential gateway to moving on to any other step”, said a statement from his office, referring to a phone call.

The statement noted that Rubio repeated the US administration’s commitment to building on the results of earlier ambassador-level conversations between Israel and Lebanon in Washington, and expressed his support for Lebanon’s stability, independence and sovereignty.

During the call, Rubio praised Aoun’s “courage and vision in pursuing direct negotiations with Israel”, Tommy Pigott, a spokesperson for the US Department of State, told reporters.

Hezbollah “is fully responsible for the ongoing fighting,” Rubio said, adding that the armed group must immediately cease its attacks.

‘KILLING OR INJURING THE EQUIVALENT OF 11 KIDS EVERY 24 HRS’

In Friday’s attacks on southern Lebanon, four persons were killed in an Israeli hit on a building in the village of Abbasiyeh, near the city of Tyre, the National News Agency (NNA) said. NNA claimed that another individual was killed in a separate strike on Deir Qanoun en-Nahr.

Eight Syrians were killed in attacks on the al-Harthiyeh region on the fringes of the town of Adloun in Lebanon’s Sidon district.

Earlier on Friday, an Israeli drone strike on the town of Aba in Nabatieh province killed a Lebanese police officer.

Israeli forces also carried out a new wave of air strikes on the cities of as-Sarafand and Khirbet Selm, NNA stated. Israeli aeroplanes also bombed a house in the town of Harayib, wounding a number of people. And Israel launched further strikes, targeting the towns of Gandouriyeh, Froun and al-Mansouri in southern Lebanon.

The United Nations reported 15 children had been killed and 62 injured in Lebanon during the past week.

The UN children’s agency, UNICEF, called the findings “staggering”, and highlighted that children must be safeguarded at all times during conflict under international humanitarian law.

The Lebanese Ministry of Public Health has said that 77 children have been murdered or injured in the last week alone, UNICEF spokesperson Ricardo Pires told a media briefing in Geneva.

“Seven days, 15 kids dead 62 hurt. This is an average of 11 youngsters every single day. Most of these children were hit by air attacks in south Lebanon, we understand. “Yesterday seven children were killed and 30 injured,” he stated.

A HUMANITARIAN DISASTER

Several relief agencies are concerned that they would be forced to withdraw from southern Lebanon due to continuous attacks.

Since March 2, Israel’s military has displaced hundreds of thousands of Lebanese from their homes and they need urgent humanitarian aid.

“If the security situation worsens, we might have to evacuate some areas. “There are some red lines that we cannot cross for the security of our teams,” Jeremy Ristord, with medical NGO Doctors Without Borders (MSF), told Al Jazeera.

“Some 40 hospitals in the south are already closed,” he said.

“On top of that, rescue teams are already under a lot of strain as they adapt their interventions to the degrading security situation,” said Ristord, adding that rescuers are worried about “double-tap strikes” by Israel.

“Sometimes they can’t even get in.”

He said 126 civil defence workers have been killed and 310 wounded during the fighting since March – “that’s four casualties a day.”

ISRAELI MILITARY ‘FIRING HEAVY ARTILLERY’ AT HEZBOLLAH

The Israeli military also issued compulsory evacuation warnings Friday for seven more towns in southern Lebanon, two of them roughly 40 kilometres (25 miles) north of Israel.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu visited troops along the border, his office said in a video.

He said Israeli forces had crossed the Litani River in Lebanon and advanced, and were also acting in Beirut and the Bekaa Valley as part of efforts against Hezbollah across the Lebanese front.

“Netanyahu made a surprise visit to the Lebanese border on Friday confirming that Israeli troops are now positioned north of the Litani River; there has been a focus of Israeli firepower … throughout Nabatieh district,” said Al Jazeera’s Obaida Hitto reporting from Tyre in Lebanon.

Israeli troops have breached Hezbollah’s second lines of security, and are currently “heavily bombarding” the armed group’s third lines of defence, Hitto added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

President Zardari promises to thwart attempts by foreigners to impede Balochistan’s advancement.

Published

on

By

 President Asif Ali Zardari has vowed that attempts by foreign-backed terrorists to obstruct development in Balochistan will be defeated at all costs, stressing that the province’s progress must continue despite security challenges.

Zardari made the remarks during a meeting with Balochistan Chief Minister Mir Sarfraz Bugti at the President’s House, where he was briefed on the overall situation in the province and ongoing development initiatives.

The president said there was a need to ensure effective coordination between the federal and provincial governments to promote peace, development and public welfare in Balochistan.

He stressed that Balochistan, Pakistan’s largest province by area, deserved special attention and adequate resources to support its development.

Zardari said efforts by terrorists operating with foreign backing to create obstacles to Balochistan’s development would be thwarted at every cost.

He expressed confidence that terrorism would eventually be eliminated from the province, saying that the day was not far when Balochistan would be free from terrorism.

The meeting also focused on the province’s overall conditions and development activities currently underway.

Pakistan Peoples Party Women’s Wing President Faryal Talpur and former Balochistan minister Mir Ali Hassan Zehri were also present during the meeting.
 

Continue Reading

Business

Following the missile attack, the UAE suspends all banking and trade relations with Iran.

Published

on

By

 The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has suspended all trade activities, exchanges and financial transactions with Iran until further notice, the foreign ministry said in a statement on Wednesday, citing regional escalation that it said undermined regional and international peace and security.

The announcement came after the UAE’s defence ministry said on Tuesday that it had detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran, the first such incident reported since a May 4 strike on the Fujairah port.

In a statement later, the ministry said the missiles targeted “maritime traffic” based on its assessments. Both missiles fell into the sea, it said.

Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei rejected early on Wednesday the statement by the UAE, describing it as “baseless.”

Baghaei called on “all regional parties” to refrain from making “unsubstantiated accusations” against Iran, according to Al Jazeera.

The spokesperson said that any assessment of the situation must account for what he called the continued “malicious actions” of the US and Israel against regional peace and security, pointing to what he described as a history of false-flag operations in the region.

The missile launch comes as a 60-day window for US-Iranian peace talks expired on Monday without a breakthrough, raising fears of a new escalation in the conflict that has disrupted shipping through the Strait of Hormuz since February.

“The defence ministry affirms its full readiness to deal with any threats and firmly confront anything that aims to destabilise the state’s security,” it said in a statement.

The UAE’s interior ministry sent a phone alert earlier on Tuesday to residents stating that the situation was safe and people should resume normal activities after an earlier alert warning of a missile threat.

The UAE had accused Iran recently of attacking its state-owned ADNOC vessels while transiting the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran has not claimed responsibility for the attacks on ADNOC vessels. Iran’s Revolutionary Guards have previously threatened action against vessels transiting the strait if they are linked to Tehran’s adversaries or fail to comply with Iranian directives.
 

Continue Reading

Business

Trump claims that a striking agreement between the US and Canada has temporarily halted tariffs.

Published

on

By

US President Donald Trump announced late on Tuesday night that he was putting a three-day pause on new 50% tariffs set to go into effect on Canadian goods on Wednesday, saying the two countries had reached an agreement.

The pause was “based on the fact that Canada and the USA, subject to the finalisation of documents, have a DEAL,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social.

An hour later, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said in a statement that “substantial progress has been made, although there is important work still to be done.”

Trump added in his social media post that the Keystone XL Pipeline – a project cancelled by former President Joe Biden in 2021 after years of indigenous and environmental opposition – “may be awoken from the grave,” but did not provide details.

Trump’s post came after he spoke with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney on Tuesday afternoon, their second conversation this week, and after weeks of intense, opaque negotiations.

Existing US auto tariffs had been a sticking point, two industry sources familiar with the talks said earlier.

The new US tariffs would have covered about $20 billion worth of imports and applied regardless of whether Canadian goods qualify for preferential treatment under the US-Mexico-Canada trade agreement, which has shielded much of Canadian industry from earlier US tariffs.

‘Billions of dollars at stake’

Trade experts and industry officials say new tariffs could lead to job losses and business closures in vulnerable sectors, including lumber, wine and dairy. They also warn the dispute could complicate broader USMCA negotiations.

“There are billions in goods per year that were not impacted before, but now are at risk of being impacted significantly,” said Candace Laing, CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce.

“Businesses have been doing a high-wire act for well over a year, holding off on hiring, investment and growing in Canada,” she said.

Canada’s minister responsible for US trade, Dominic LeBlanc, and chief trade negotiator Janice Charette have been in Washington since last week for talks.

On Monday, the Canadian officials met for nearly two hours with US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer and Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick.

Greer has repeatedly cited Canada’s tariffs that followed initial US tariffs, some provinces’ refusal to stock US liquor and Canada’s dairy supply management system among US grievances.

Two sources said one of the main sticking points was US tariffs on Canadian vehicles.

The sides have discussed cutting US Section 232 tariffs on Canadian vehicles to 15% from 25%, with further reductions based on the amount of US content in each vehicle, the sources said.

The details of the deal touted by Trump remained unclear.

Counting tariff deductions

A major point of contention was how tariff deductions based on content should be calculated, with Washington demanding that only US-produced content be counted. Canada pushed for all North American content, including Canadian and Mexican parts, to be counted, the sources said.

Earlier on Tuesday, the US Commerce Department released new rules for automakers exporting from Canada and Mexico to certify their current levels of US content for tariff deductions, reducing the complicated exercise to once per year from twice.

But the Federal Register notice said automakers must re-certify vehicles’ American content by September 30 for them to claim deductions in the new annual cycle starting December 1.

A Canadian government source said last week that all options remained on the table if the new tariffs take effect, including government support for affected domestic industries and a possible suspension of bilateral trade talks, but the source expressed hope that the US was keen to reach a deal.

Continue Reading

Trending