Latest News
Bangladesh complete Test series whitewash, beat Pakistan by 78 runs
Bangladesh beat Pakistan by 78 runs in the second Test and won the two-match series 2-0 here on Wednesday.
Pakistan were bowled out for 358 on the fifth morning chasing a win mark of 437 runs. Mohammad Rizwan returned at 75 but failed to finish his century and was out for 94. His knock included 10 fours.
Overnight batsman Sajid Khan, who was on eight, played hard but Taijul dismissed him for 28 runs, which included five fours. Khurram Shahzad was his sixth victim who could not open his account.
Pakistan’s batting line-up disintegrated late on day four with a decisive six-wicket session from Taijul Islam.
The visitors started their batting again with a target of 121 but lost their remaining three wickets fast to hand down Bangladesh yet another triumph.
DAY 4
Pakistan started their pursuit in the last session with Mohammad Rizwan and Salman Ali Agha steadying the innings against a disciplined Bangladesh attack. The duo made a critical 134-run sixth wicket stand to help Pakistan recover after early setbacks.
Rizwan’s controlled effort kept the innings together to earn his 14th Test fifty, while Salman scored another vital half-century in first-class cricket. Their stand took Pakistan beyond 250 and temporarily kept alive hopes of a victorious pursuit.
The breakthrough finally came with the dismissal of Salman for 71 off 102 deliveries, an innings embellished with six boundaries and a six, by Taijul. Pakistan’s woes compounded shortly thereafter as Hasan Ali went for naught, giving Taijul his fourth wicket of the innings.
Pakistan were 316-7 in 86 overs at stumps, needing 121 for win with Rizwan unbeaten on 75 and Sajid Khan on eight.
Earlier in the day Pakistan had a cautious start from openers Azan Awais and Abdullah Fazal but Nahid Rana dismissed Fazal for six to break a 27-run opening stand.
Mehidy Hasan Miraz then dismissed Azan for 21 to make it 41-2 for Pakistan. Babar Azam and Shan Masood answered with a good partnership which took the visitors past 100.
Bangladesh, however, bounced back well in the second period. Nahid Rana and Taijul Islam took the wickets of Babar, Saud Shakeel and Shan Masood in quick succession before tea to swing momentum back in the hosts’ favour.
Babar fought his way to 47 from 52 deliveries while Saud managed only six. Shan fought for 71 off 116 deliveries for his 14th Test fifty before falling to Taijul.
Despite the middle-order collapse, Rizwan and Salman dug in and rebuilt the innings with grit, keeping Pakistan alive in the chase going into the final day.
Business
Pakistan launches offshore oil and gas drilling after nearly two decades
Pakistan has formally reopened its offshore oil and gas exploration sector after nearly 20 years, a significant step toward boosting domestic energy resources and attracting investment.
The government has signed Production Sharing Agreements (PSAs) and Exploration Licences (ELs) for the 23 offshore blocks awarded under the Offshore Bid Round 2025. Federal Petroleum Minister Ali Pervaiz Malik was present at the signing event.
The officials said the bid round encompassed over 54,600 square kilometres in the Indus and Makran offshore basins along the coastal waters of Sindh and Balochistan.
The Ministry of Petroleum said two blocks were awarded earlier in December 2025, while the remaining 21 agreements have now been concluded, completing the full offshore licensing structure.
Officials said the achievement was an important milestone to spur offshore exploration, increase international and local investment and reduce dependence on imported energy.
The government said the potential of Pakistan’s offshore area is around 282,623 square kilometers and only a few exploration wells had been completed since independence.
Companies will first conduct geological and geophysical research, including seismic data collecting and interpretation in Phase-I under the new framework. If the results are positive, exploratory drilling will follow in Phase-II.
Mari Energies was the biggest stakeholder among participating corporations, however significant national energy companies also won several blocks.
The government forecasts the initial investment at about $82 million, rising to almost $1 billion if drilling moves to the advanced exploration stages.
Latest News
DG ISPR chairs special session with university VCs, academic members
A special session was organized by Director General Inter-Services Public Relations (DG ISPR) with vice chancellors and senior faculty members of several institutions under the National Security and Strategic Leadership Workshop 2026.
Vice chancellors, deans, registrars and senior instructors from around 200 universities of Pakistan attended the event. The event was attended online by participants from Lahore, Karachi, Peshawar, Muzaffarabad, Multan and Quetta.
During the session, DG ISPR discussed the major topics connected to the country’s internal situation, emphasizing on security matters and strategic challenges.
The participants said the Pakistan Armed Forces had played a remarkable role in defence, stability and security of the country. The also said Pakistan gained a major success in the Battle of Truth thanks to efforts by the armed forces and expressed complete trust in the strength of the country’s military institutions.
They further said that the people of Azad Kashmir and the people of Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir (IIOJK) respect the Pakistan Army. Participants reported that they received clear guidance on how to safeguard pupils from harmful propaganda and how to ensure the transmission of truthful information.
Academics said that they were given the heightened knowledge of the national security, information warfare and the difficulties facing the country. They said that the interaction between the armed services and academics is a relevant and important initiative.
Latest News
WhatsApp now allows limited free access to Meta’s AI rival chatbots
Meta Platforms has promised to give competing AI chatbots, including OpenAI, free access to its social messaging service WhatsApp in Europe but would start charging them once they reach a limit.
The previously unknown offer details come as Mark Zuckerberg’s digital and social media company, which also controls Facebook, seeks to placate increasingly severe EU authorities that are squeezing Big digital.
Meta handed its proposal to EU antitrust watchdogs last week after the European Commission indicated it was exploring a demand that the corporation grant rivals access to WhatsApp until it concludes an ongoing probe in the case.
Neither side disclosed details of the offer.
The Commission has not yet decided whether to accept Meta’s offer and interested parties had until May 18 to provide feedback, the persons added.
Once competitor AI chatbots hit a limit in terms of messages sent to users, Meta will start charging them, the two individuals claimed.
The wider case shows how the EU enforcer is seeking to ensure competition in emerging digital sectors by stopping Big Tech from gaining market power or blocking smaller rivals.
The Commission declined to comment, stressing its objective is to keep the developing market of AI assistants free and competitive for entrepreneurs.
It said Meta’s offer should give scope for additional talks to address its concerns.
Meta repeated previous comments that it has provided access to competing AI chatbots in Europe to WhatsApp business Application Programming Interface (API) free of charge for a month while it tries to settle the problem with EU regulators.
An API is a form of software interface that specifies how two software systems will communicate.
Smaller rivals, too, indicated they were unimpressed.
The Interaction Company of California, creator of the AI helper Poke.com, and French startup Agentik, both of which had complained to the Commission, dismissed Meta’s offer.
“Unfortunately, Meta’s current proposal is no where near addressing any of the competition concerns identified in this case,” The Interaction Company of California said.
“If Meta does not come forward with a truly constructive proposal without delay, we urge the Commission to proceed with the interim measures,” he added.
“Meta’s offer is discriminatory towards its competitors. “Meta’s own AI would be excluded,” says Jeremy Andre, founder of Agentik.
But Meta’s AI chatbot does not use WhatsApp’s API.
Meta had a policy in place in January that allowed only its Meta AI assistant on WhatsApp and then revised it in March to suggest rivals could use the social messaging service for a price.
That led to a second charge sheet from the EU watchdog, causing the company to suspend fees for a month while it examined its proposal with the Commission.
-
Latest News5 days agoICC board meeting in India: Mohsin Naqvi gets invitation
-
Business1 week agoThe IMF mission has arrived in Pakistan for discussions regarding the budget.
-
Latest News1 week agoThe Ruet-e-Hilal Committee meeting is scheduled for moon sighting of Zil Hajj on May 17.
-
Business2 weeks agoIn the open market, flour prices increase by Rs 700 per mound.
-
Latest News2 weeks agoPrime Minister Shehbaz expresses gratitude to Trump for suspending ‘Project Freedom’ in the Strait of Hormuz.
-
Latest News2 weeks agoShehbaz Sharif convenes with Nawaz Sharif to deliberate on the political and economic landscape.
-
Latest News2 weeks agoFazlur Rehman declares nationwide demonstrations in response to the assassination of Maulana Idrees.
-
Latest News1 week agoIran’s response to the US peace offering is deemed “unacceptable” by Trump.
